New Special Education Teacher – Ms. Dawson

Ms. Dawson

Ms. Dawson

Tessa H., Staff Writer

This year, Cope has a new special education teacher, Ms. Dawson! She has been teaching for nine years. When asked what grade levels she has worked with, Ms. Dawson replied, “I have taught from TK all the way to 12th grade!” Ms. Dawson has previously worked at three different schools, and came to Cope from Rialto High School. This year, she will be teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade, and will be focusing on math and science. 

Since she loved watching her mom teach English and her dad teach math, Ms. Dawson soon realized she also wanted to educate students. In response to the question of what she enjoys most about teaching, Ms. Dawson replies, “There is nothing more satisfying to me than seeing someone reach their goals. Being a teacher means that I’m on the sidelines cheering my students on, and the pride I feel through their accomplishments is what I go to work for every day.” 

Ms. Dawson states that the funniest thing that has ever happened in her classroom is that, “When I came in from my lunch break, there were four kittens in my classroom! I was so surprised, but it was the best day ever!” Something that she would like Cope students to know about her is that she is not just a teacher, but a mom, too. She has four young kids, Sophia, Spencer, Cora, and Jo. Some of Ms. Dawson’s hobbies are being with her family, cooking, and building furniture. “We just bought a new house in Redlands, and I can’t wait to see what we will create there,” she adds. Lastly, when asked if she knows any good jokes or puns, Ms. Dawson answers, “What can’t you trust in science? Atoms — because they make up everything!”

We all welcome you to Cope, Ms. Dawson!