Revive Home Economics!

Revive Home Economics!

Caroline C., Editor

When applying for high school, nobody saw a Home Economics class. This is an old class, started by a woman named Ellen Swallow Richards in 1909. The class would teach girls -it later extended to boys- how to manage a household. It is, by definition, “the art and science of home management.” It taught sewing, cooking, gardening, and the basics of maintaining a home.

Home Economics isn’t extinct, though it isn’t common. It’s changed a lot over the years. Originally, it was a class run by women for girls. It taught about housework, cleaning, and raising children to prepare the girls to be good housewives in the future. Fortunately, gender roles have become more flexible, so the class is offered to boys, too (the name changed to Family Consumer Science to get rid of the gender bias associated with the name Home Economics.) The class prepared students for different jobs -such as work in restaurants, hotels, hospitals, design, and more. 

I personally believe that this elective class should be more common in schools. The lessons taught in Home Ec. teaches kids things they would never learn in the normal curriculum. The American Association of Family Consumer Science site explains that, “Family and consumer sciences studies the relationship between individuals, families, and communities and the environment in which they live. FCS educators address many topics, including human development, personal and family finance, housing and interior design, food science, nutrition and wellness, textiles and apparel, and consumer issues. They apply math, science, and communication skills to everyday living.” The real-life applications of their normal classes, as well as lessons about taking care of themselves and others in the future, will lead the current generation into being much better, educated, and efficient people.