Cope’s New Assistant Principal – Mrs. Gonzales!

Edric W., Staff Writer

This school year welcomes a new assistant principal; Mrs. Gonzales! She has just begun to work at Cope, bringing a welcome addition to the Cope Eagles staff team. So, without further ado, let’s get into learning a bit about our new assistant principal!

Mrs. Gonzales graduated from the University of La Verne with an undergraduate degree and later graduated from the University of Redlands with her graduate degree. She says, “I was a 911 dispatcher earlier in life, but teaching was calling my name.” Once she stopped being a dispatcher, she received her teaching credentials and began to teach. She first started teaching in 1998 in the Rialto Unified School District at Boyd Elementary. She then went to Moore Middle School, where she decided to get credentials to be a counselor. Once she got said credentials, she became a counselor at Beattie Middle School. She then accepted a counseling position at Redlands High School for 11 years. From there, she moved to the district office as the foster youth/homeless liaison for a few years, and for the past two years, she has been the assistant principal at Redlands Adult School.

Mrs. Gonzales loves to spend time with her family. According to her, she is also “crazy about dogs”. So it is no wonder that she has three dogs. She has two Labrador Retrievers and a King Charles Cavalier. One of her Labradors, Max, is a therapy dog that she takes to hospitals to visit patients.

When asked how she thinks distance learning will play out, she said, “I think distance learning is coming along. It definitely is something new we are all learning and adapting to this new way of living. We are all adjusting and moving forward.” She also insights, “I think, just like anything, distance learning has its pros and cons. I believe we have all been challenged in many ways, and we have all learned new things which is a positive.” She would like to meet all of her students in person once quarantine is over.

Welcome to Cope, Mrs. Gonzales!