New Special Education Teacher, Katie Castellanos

Nahiara M., Staff Writer

Recently, RUSD got a new teacher, Katie Castellanos. She has been teaching for 4 years and came from the Beaumont school district.  She is a special education teacher and her last 3 years of teaching were in a kindergarten and first-grade autism class. This year is her first year of teaching 7th and 8th-grade math and study skills. When asked what she likes most about teaching she replied with, “I love connecting with my students and their families, and I love watching my students progress not only with their academic skills, but growing as amazing young people.  My favorite thing as a teacher is when a student realizes how smart they are and that they are capable of much more than they gave themselves credit for!” 

Mrs. Castellanos enjoys spending time with her family and friends and enjoys playing crochet, gardening, camping, traveling, and hiking! When she was interviewed if she would rather be a beetle or caterpillar she responded with, “Well, I guess if I had to choose one or the other, I would be a beetle because they (and I would be the flying kind) can fly away from danger, they have a protective exoskeleton, and most other insects and animals leave them alone.  I would rather not be an insect at all though, so I’m glad I’m a human!” She also has a 12-year-old labrador retriever named Lola who is deaf and walks 2+ miles with her a couple of times per week. Her favorite colors are blue and purple and when asked if she could go anywhere in the world she said she would go to Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, and Switzerland. Finally, when asked what kind of tree she would be, she said, “If I could be a tree I would be a California Redwood because they get to live in beautiful coastal places and live for a very long time.” 

That was Mrs. Castellanos and we want to welcome her to our district!