Books to Read During Social Distancing

Books to Read During Social Distancing

Margo M., Staff Writer

With all of our excess time, rereading all of our favorites just won’t cut it for long. So, here’s a list of great reads.

1. “Stargirl” by Jerry Spinelli – Stargirl is a beautiful tale about nonconformity and first love. Leo Borlock learned the hard way to fit in, but then he meets the eccentric Stargirl. Stargirl, who was homeschooled until 10th grade, at first enchants the students of Mica High but then the tables turn and she is shunned for her differences. Meanwhile, Leo has fallen desperately in love with her. Jerry Spinelli weaves a tense story about the nature of popularity and first love. Recently, Disney Plus released a movie adaptation. There is a sequel called “Love, Stargirl.”
  2. “City of Bones” by Cassandra Clare – Clary Fray witnesses three strange teenagers murder someone while out in the city. But, she can’t really go to the police since the body vanished into thin air. The weirdest part is, no one else was able to see the teenagers. A few days later, Clary’s mother goes missing. Jace, one of the teens, wonders why Clary was able to see him and brings her into the world of the Shadowhunters. But, why can Clary, a normal person, see the Shadow World, and what does it have to do with her mother? Clary is introduced to a world she never imagined. Along with “The Mortal Instruments” of which “City of Bones” is the first, Cassandra Clare has written three other series dealing with Shadowhunters including, “The Last Hours,” “The Infernal Devices,” and “The Dark Artifices.” There are also several collections of short stories.
  3. “Renegades” by Marissa Meyer – “Bold. Valiant. Just. Do  you have what it takes to be a hero?” The Renegades are superheros who have built a new society following the end of the Age of Anarchy. Nova idolized the Renegades until her parents were murdered before her eyes. Now, years later Nova only wants revenge. Her uncle, Ace Anarchy, saved Nova’s life and Nova is raised by the Anarchists, her uncle’s villain gang. Nova grows up to become the villain Nightmare because of her powers of putting others to sleep through touch. The story’s male protagonist, Adrian Everhart, is the son of two of the Renegade’s founding members: Captain Chromium and the Dread Warden. Adrian’s mother, the late Lady Indomitable, was found dead during the Age of Anarchy with a note on her body, “One cannot be brave who has no fear.”Adrian search for the truth and Nova’s vendetta against the Renegades causes their paths to collide when Nova infiltrates the Renegades. The Renegades is a trilogy.
  4. “Dragon Slippers” by Jessica Day George – When Creel’s aunt decides to sacrifice her to the town’s dragon in the hopes of marrying her off, Creel meets the local dragon, Theoradus. Creel is able to talk the dragon into letting her go and asks for a piece of his hoard in exchange for turning the knight away. To Creel’s surprise, Theoradus’s hoard is … shoes. After picking out a pair, Creel leaves to pursue her dreams of working as a seamstress in the capital. Upon reaching the capital, Creel becomes entangled with the monarchy and meets the heir, Prince Miles, his betrothed, Princess Amalia, and Prince Luka. “Dragon Slippers” is the first installment in the Dragon Slippers Trilogy.
  5. “Carry On” by Rainbow Rowell – Simon Snow is “the worst Chosen One that has ever been chosen.” Right now, everything is completely abnormal — for the School of Magicks that is. Simon’s mentor is avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, his roommate, Baz, might be a vampire, and there is a magick-eating monster that looks like an eleven-year-old version of Simon. Simon knows Baz would have a field day with all his problems except for one thing — his nemesis hasn’t even shown up for their last year of school. There is a sequel, “Wayward Son.”
  6. “Dealing With Dragons” by Patrica C. Wrede – Another story dealing heavily with dragons. Cimorene is the princess who refuses to be proper. She is extremely interested in a variety of subjects but whenever she attempts to pursue them, her parents put a stop to it. Her parents tell her, “It simply isn’t done.” about her magic, fencing, Latin, cooking, economics, and juggling lessons. After discovering her parents have arranged marriage, Cimorene runs off to become the dragon Kazul’s princess. As a dragon’s princess, Cimorene becomes involved with many dangerous and unique people, including a witch, a jinn, a stone prince, and some shady wizards. “Dealing With Dragons” is book one of the Enchanted Forest Chronicles.