AVID School Wide Site of Distinction

Back to Article
Back to Article

AVID School Wide Site of Distinction

Lilus M., Staff Writer

This year, our school’s AVID won School Wide Site of Distinction. This is because Cope’s AVID program reached the highest level AVID can be. Teachers here in Cope have been using AVID strategies for their own students. You might have noticed the college flags, SLANT posters, focus, and even college requirement posters your teachers hang on the walls. This is all because of the AVID strategies teachers have been using. Not only is it good for students all over school, but for other kids in other schools. Teachers from different schools have been using the same AVID strategies to help teach their students. Our AVID has received a School Wide Site of Distinction poster (as seen in the photo), and they will soon receive a mural. According to Mr. Aceto, this is a two-step process. After one year, AVID programs win School Wide Site of Distinction. “Most AVID programs stop there, and they’re happy about getting School Wide Site of Distinction,” Mr. Aceto said, “but we’re not gonna stop there.” In order to become recognized as one of the best AVID programs across the U.S, Cope’s AVID must participate in the second step of the process. Next fall, between August and September, AVID will go for the ultimate prize: National Demonstration School. We will support our school’s AVID. We know that they have got this, and that they can do it!