The Talon

• April 16Check out the new ENN video!

• April 16Journalism and Yearbook applications are in the student center. Get them now!

• April 16If you're interested in being a part of the RHS football team, then see the bulletin for more information.

• April 16Applications to be a part of the Washington D.C. trip in 8th grade are out now. Go to C-8 if you have any questions.

• April 16Applications for the honors science test are out now in the student center. Get them now and good luck!

Featured Book of the Month

VOLUME II

Halley K., Staff Writer

Hello, hello, Eagles! Man, does it feel amazing to be typing this up. Now, I know what you are probably thinking. Why in the world is there a second volume of F.B.O.T.M (Featured Book of the Month for those raw to F.B.O.T.M.) when you already wrote one for this month? Well, my dears, if you really want to know, you can check out the first volume of F.B.O.T.M. where you found this one. Seriously. Do it.

Before I say anything else, I should say that after this is published, there will only be two more editions of F.B.O.T.M. for me to write (*cries quietly in the corner*). Not to worry, I have everything planned, just not written. And, before you get worried, that surprise I said I have in store is remaining under wraps… for now. Having said that, the most important thing about this edition is that this book is introduced. So, before I get too emotionally wrought to continue writing, I should tell you all what it actually is. Without any further softie-talk, this month’s second book of the month is Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein.

Where the Sidewalk Ends is a very interesting book, considering the thought that it’s actually a poetry book, and this is the first time a poetry book has been introduced to F.B.O.T.M. Where the Sidewalk Ends also holds a lot of meaning to me, having been one of the first poetry books I read when I was little. There isn’t much to say on this book, except a lot. Ha. Where the Sidewalk Ends is a beautiful compilation of poetry by the complete and utter word-magician that is Shel Silverstein. I debated within myself for a very long while about which poetry book I was going to choose to introduce to F.B.O.T.M., but, of course, I knew that it was going to have to be a Silverstein work. Silverstein has mastered the art of alliteration, and of creating truly beautiful pieces of word-art. It was a very heated competition between The Giving Tree and Where the Sidewalk Ends. Both are beautiful works, but, because I just don’t think that middle schoolers would be able to grasp the emotionally crushing art that is The Giving Tree, I ultimately decided to choose Where the Sidewalk Ends. Clearly.

Anyway, either book is a good choice, but Where the Sidewalk Ends is such a beautiful poetry book, and I highly recommend that you read it. Until next time, my lovely Eagles!

About the Writer
Halley K., Staff Writer

Halley K. is an eighth grade student at Cope Middle School. She is an avid reader, who loves to write, sing, and practice math.