The Talon

• October 15The deadline for box tops is this Fri. 10/18.

• October 15If you're in CJSF, and want to win a free trip to Disneyland, come to I-27, this Wed.

• October 15Donate all of your unwanted books to I-27 for the annual Used Book Sale.

• October 15Come to the chess club meetings on Fri. during 2nd lunch.

• October 8Are you missing anything? All lost items will get donated soon.

It’s Meme Day!

Katie T., SNO Editor

On Friday, December 1, 2017, was Cope Middle School’s 4th spirit day of the year.  This spirit day was called Meme Day.  Students were asked to dress up as their favorite meme for the day.  During both lunches, students could go up to the upper field to play games and win candy if they participated in Meme Day.  There were multiple people who participated in this spirit day and their costumes were hilarious!

About the Writer
Katie T., SNO Editor
Katie T. is the editor of the online addition of the Talon. She edits every article that is posted and assigns certain jobs to every student. In addition, she writes for the printed addition of the Talon. Finally, Katie is in 8th grade, and this is her second year on the Journalism team.
2 Comments

2 Responses to “It’s Meme Day!”

1. gAf on December 11th, 2017 5:39 pm

No offense but out of all the spirit days of the year, I found this one the most ridiculous. People are most likely going to read the first line of my comment and say something like “you’re just a hater, memes are hip” or something like “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all.” And while I do agree I am a hater, you need to realize that this is the internet, where people can say whatever they please. So if you cannot take a little critism or a different opinion, please get off the internet. That’s accounting for if someone actually reads this at all. Seeing that only 24 people out of the some odd 2,000 cope students voted for their favorite M&M, I doubt anyone will care. That doesn’t even include that this comment also has to be approved by the staff, so I’m guessing they’ll deny it as I am “spreading hate”. But on the slight chance it does get approved, here’s what I have to say. I honestly do not think a meme day was a great idea; it’s a really flawed concept. “Dress as you’re favorite meme”, is what the marketing was. And although I do like memes, memes are very, very diverse. They can include animals, to characters, to people, to comercials, to parodies, to objects and ect. And that seems to be the problem. Really anything can be a meme. Although that sounds good, it isn’t. The problem lies within the cope policies. Little to none of memes can be dressed up as without breaking the cope rules. Basically it’s “Dress as your favorite meme!” but this isn’t including the dress code (that restricts masks or any hats), the fact you cannot wear anything inappropriate (which lets face it a lot of memes are), and that most memes are literally impossible to dress up as. So as a result, people dressed up as things that either barley qualifies as a meme, something that is extremly watered down and unfunny, or a meme that isn’t relevant anymore. Not only can you not dress up as the majority of memes, but also most memes you can dress up as don’t really have rememberable qualities. If there’s a Harry Potter meme, can I just put on circle glasses and say that I’m that one specific Harry Potter meme on Facebook? If there’s a Bad Luck Brian meme, can I just put on a plad vest and say I’m Bad Luck Brian. The list goes on. It just seems like a lazy attempt of cope trying to be trendy and cool. So although some dressed, there wasn’t much effort put into what they did. The point is people didn’t have to try. I feel spirit days should bring out the spirit in people. They should encourage students to do something that’s practical and realistic. Meme day had many restrictions and rules, thus it was only a shadow of what it could have been. It was doomed from the start. The whole day felt like a misrepresentation of memes. Meme day stood for misrepresentation and misopportunities, which is the exact opposite of spirit days. I still have hope for the cope ASB, but next time something more practical than trendy, is strongly preferred.

-gAf

2. Claudia on December 12th, 2017 2:59 pm

This event was not extremely successful and I think that there are better ways to up the school spirit.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• It’s Meme Day!

School News

Buy a Boo Gram!

• It’s Meme Day!

School Events

The Cope College Fair

• It’s Meme Day!

Cope Eagles Doing Great Things

Over $400 for Florence

• It’s Meme Day!

Cope Eagles Doing Great Things

Perfect Performances

• It’s Meme Day!

School Events

College Week

• It’s Meme Day!

Cope Eagles Doing Great Things

Students of the Month Get the Best Pizza of the Month

• It’s Meme Day!

School Events

Run Run Run!

• It’s Meme Day!

Clubs and Academics

Chess Club

• It’s Meme Day!

Cope Eagles Doing Great Things

Plate Full of Surprises

• It’s Meme Day!

School Events

Welcome Back Party at Great Success!

The student news site of Cope Middle School
It’s Meme Day!