The Talon

• February 11Group photos for the yearbook will be held throughout this week. See the bulletin for more information.

• February 11Make sure to come to the Starry Night Dance!

• February 11Participate in the spirit day this Fri. It's semi-formal Friday!

• February 4If you want to join AVID at RHS, go to the Student Center for more information.

• February 4ASB applications are in the counseling center. Make sure to grab one and fill it out.

A Year After the 2016 Election

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Year After the 2016 Election

Emma M.

This November it will mark one year after the 2016 election where Donald Trump was elected. While technically he has only been in office since January, much has changed since last November.
Back in January, as one of the first things Trump did as president, he issued an executive order banning persons with passports from seven Middle Eastern nations. The ban lasted for a few weeks until it was suspended by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
As of right now, President Trump has tweeted over one thousand tweets, since January, on his Twitter account. His tweets have been a mix of mentioning fake stories/media outlets, jobs, natural disasters, and addressing other current events.
On the campaign trail, Donald Trump spoke about dismantling DACA. DACA, short for The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, is an immigration policy that allowed some minors who entered the country to remain in the US legally with a two-year period of deferred action from deportation that is renewable and to be eligible for a work permit. Instead of completely dismantling the program, the Trump Administration proposed to phase out DACA. Trump’s proposal to phase out DACA is under review with committees in the House of Representatives and Senate.
During Trump’s presidency, there have been several natural disasters. Hurricanes Irma, Harvey, and Maria caused billions of dollars of damage to Florida, Texas and Puerto Rico. In response to these hurricanes President Trump toured the affected regions as presidents do. He made a show of praising the “very, very fast” work of relief workers and his administration.
Regarding the NFL Anthem protests, Trump spoke out against the kneeling. He felt it was disrespectful to the flag and the country. At a rally, he made a crude comment about how he would fire players who knelt if he coached a team.
For all of the controversy stirred up by the President, it is too early to determine the lasting impact he will have on the nation.

About the Writer
Emma M., Editor

Emma M. is the Editor in Chief of The Talon. Emma is a second year Journalism student. As Editor in Chief, Emma assigns articles and watches over layout,...