The Talon

• November 14Get your vitarain in H-22 for $1 before it runs out.

• November 14Get your 8th grader a personalized ad in this year's Yearbook.

• November 13Come get your lost items from the lost and found in the student center.

• November 8Get your forms for the ski/snowboard club now. Turn them in by Dec. 13.

• November 8Chess club meets every Fri. in M-51, during 2nd lunch.

Which Holiday Is It Anyway?

?

?

Katie T., SNO Editor

Do you often wonder why we get extra days off in November? Not to complain about the extra hours spent sleeping, but what is so special about this month? Of course there is a week off for Thanksgiving, but then there is another extra day off as well.  That extra day is in observance of Veterans Day, which is officially celebrated on November 11th each year.  The holiday’s history goes back all the way to World War I.

On the 11th day of the 11th month, during the 11th hour, an armistice or cease fire was signed between Germany and the Allied Powers in World War I.  This marked the end of the “Great War” which had been going on for several years and caused many casualties.  This “Armistice Day” became recognized as a national holiday, was observed annually on November 11th, and honored the veterans who fought in WWI.  The United States became involved in many subsequent wars and decided to later change the name of the holiday to Veterans Day in order to recognize the brave people who fought in those wars.  Today, the holiday not only provides a day off from school, but gives Americans a chance to show respect for the brave men and women who choose to defend our country.  Redlands has its own special celebration planned.

The city of Redlands will be honoring veterans with a parade, followed by a special ceremony at Jennie Day Park.  The parade starts at 9 am on November 11.  You can watch the parade at its starting point on Redlands Blvd. and Citrus Avenue, or sit along the parade route as it heads to the park on the corner of Redlands Blvd. and New York St.  There will be aircraft fly-overs, live bands, special performances, and best of all, everything is free!  So do not spend too many hours sleeping in on Veterans Day or you might miss out.

(Sources: history.com, military.com, and aboutredlands.com)

About the Writer
Katie T., SNO Editor

Katie T. is the editor of the online addition of the Talon. She edits every article that is posted and assigns certain jobs to every student. In addition,...