The student news site of Cope Middle School

The Talon

• December 11Help support Cope Science Dec. 11 at Chipolte!

• December 11The next lunch with your leader will be December 12th!

• December 7Packets for Ski/Snowboard club are available in the student center and H-22. Packets are available December 8th and due by December 12.

• December 4The BRElieve toy drive runs from Dec. 4 to Dec.14 bring your new unwrapped toy to homeroom

• October 31If you want to purchase 8th grade ad's, look on the Cope Home page for a link to a letter explaining everything.

Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid (35) and quarterback Colin Kaepernick (7) kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams in Santa Clara, Calif., Monday, Sept. 12, 2016. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez) ORG XMIT: FXN102

AP

AP

Caden H., Staff Writer

If you have watched football recently or follow the sport, then you have probably seen the players kneeling during the national anthem. The subject has sparked debate and it seems like it is sports vs. politics. The question is what are they are protesting, and why are they are kneeling?

This is not the first time sports and politics have collided. There was Muhammad Ali and Jesse Owens who had to fight for their right to play their respective games. But this subject is even more controversial in these times. This all started back in 2016 when the then San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick first sat on the bench during the national anthem in August of 2016 and was noticed. People then asked why he was kneeling and he said he will not stand for a flag that oppresses black people and people of color. However, many argue the American flag does represent freedom and equal rights for all. Plus, the flag represents those who have served, as you could tell if you have ever heard the lyrics of the anthem. Now, fast forward to the present and whole teams are kneeling! Our president Donald Trump has even spoken on the issue, as well as NFL commissioner Rodger Goodell, both men spoke out against kneeling. With the backstory explained let’s get into the reasons.

The main reason the players say they are kneeling is racism. This has been a problem all throughout American history and continues to get worse as the black lives matter protest rage on. No player ever said anything else other than racism for the reason.   However, players could even get fired for this, legal experts say. So, why risk it? Why not just protest on the streets? While they do have a stage, people argue that athletes should play the game and politicians will do politics. So, to answer the question of the article, they are protesting because of racism. This debate will probably continue on for years and it will be interesting to see it play out.