The Talon

• October 15The deadline for box tops is this Fri. 10/18.

• October 15If you're in CJSF, and want to win a free trip to Disneyland, come to I-27, this Wed.

• October 15Donate all of your unwanted books to I-27 for the annual Used Book Sale.

• October 15Come to the chess club meetings on Fri. during 2nd lunch.

• October 8Are you missing anything? All lost items will get donated soon.

Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

San Francisco 49ers safety Eric Reid (35) and quarterback Colin Kaepernick (7) kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams in Santa Clara, Calif., Monday, Sept. 12, 2016. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez) ORG XMIT: FXN102

AP

AP

Caden H., Staff Writer

If you have watched football recently or follow the sport, then you have probably seen the players kneeling during the national anthem. The subject has sparked debate and it seems like it is sports vs. politics. The question is what are they are protesting, and why are they are kneeling?

This is not the first time sports and politics have collided. There was Muhammad Ali and Jesse Owens who had to fight for their right to play their respective games. But this subject is even more controversial in these times. This all started back in 2016 when the then San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick first sat on the bench during the national anthem in August of 2016 and was noticed. People then asked why he was kneeling and he said he will not stand for a flag that oppresses black people and people of color. However, many argue the American flag does represent freedom and equal rights for all. Plus, the flag represents those who have served, as you could tell if you have ever heard the lyrics of the anthem. Now, fast forward to the present and whole teams are kneeling! Our president Donald Trump has even spoken on the issue, as well as NFL commissioner Rodger Goodell, both men spoke out against kneeling. With the backstory explained let’s get into the reasons.

The main reason the players say they are kneeling is racism. This has been a problem all throughout American history and continues to get worse as the black lives matter protest rage on. No player ever said anything else other than racism for the reason.   However, players could even get fired for this, legal experts say. So, why risk it? Why not just protest on the streets? While they do have a stage, people argue that athletes should play the game and politicians will do politics. So, to answer the question of the article, they are protesting because of racism. This debate will probably continue on for years and it will be interesting to see it play out.

About the Writer
Caden H., Writer

Caden H. is a staff writer for the Talon Online. He enjoys writing about sports.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Why Are Football Players Kneeling?”

1. Aiden Bedley on December 12th, 2017 3:10 pm

I think the nealing thing disgraceful to the flag and America itself.

2. Aiden Bedley on December 12th, 2017 3:11 pm

Sorry for my mishap in spelling i meant kneeling

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

Dodgers Knock it Out of the Park

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

NBA Media Day Recap

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

Speeding Across the Salt Flats-On a Bicycle

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

NFL Player Vontae Davis Retires At Halftime

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

Cope Appreciation Night at RHS

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

Aaron Rodgers Comes Back

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

NBA 2018-2019 Season Predictions

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

Football Regular Season

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

Happy Birthday, Kobe

• Why Are Football Players Kneeling?

Sports

English Premier League Returns

The student news site of Cope Middle School
Why Are Football Players Kneeling?