The student news site of Cope Middle School

The Talon

• May 31We will be clearing out lockers and checking in school issued locks on Friday, June 2th. Bring a bag to clear out all of your belongings.

• May 258-14 year olds:Check out the summer music academy on July 17-28th. For more information pick up a flyer in the student center.

• May 8You can still buy a Cope shirt for only $13 with ASB Sticker or $15 without.

• October 31Buy a yearbook now. Click on the link on the Cope web page.

• September 27College Wear Wedenesday! Wear your favorite college clothes every Wednesday!

Most Influential Presidents

Rishi S., Staff Writer

The President of the United States is one of the most important positions in the government, if not the most important. The president controls the army. He works out trade deals and relations with foreign government. He has the most power out of any other position because they can make some decisions on their own.  Some presidents used their power wisely and it benefited the United States. These presidents are the people that we respect and know all across the country.

One of the most important presidents was Abraham Lincoln, who did many things for civil rights in the United States. The most important thing that Lincoln did was uniting the United States again after the civil war. He also issued the Emancipation Proclamation. The Proclamation allowed slaves to be freed.

The first president, George Washington, helped build this country. He served as the General of the Army in the revolutionary war. George Washington led the colonies to victory against Britain.

Another president that was a general was Ulysses S. Grant. He was very important in the civil war. Grant helped bring the United States together during the civil war. He helped keep the civil rights for African Americans.

Another great president was John F. Kennedy who was one of the most favored presidents. His lowest Approval Rating was 56% which is higher than some president’s highest approval rating. Kennedy resolved the Cuban missile crisis which threatened the United States with being bombed. He also signed a nuclear test ban treaty with the Soviet Union and Britain. Kennedy helped the civil rights movement by sending troops to Mississippi to desegregate it. He also endorsed the March on Washington for jobs and freedom. These presidents have progressed the United States in a way that benefited us all and protected us.