Debates, E-Mails, Changing the Subject, and Shouting: An Editorial About the Second Presidential Debate

Evan K., SNO Editor

DISCLAIMER: This is one of two articles about the recent presidential debate. This one will only address what changes that I believe should be made to Hillary Clinton’s campaign. These articles are written for the sake of entertainment above anything else, and students may be writing stories that are contradictory to their own beliefs. If you disagree with any of the ideas suggested in this or any other articles, please leave a polite comment below. Thank you.

The current presidential election is one of the most heated controversies in the political history of America. Experts call the two presidential candidates, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, “the most hated political figures to ever run for office”. Furthermore, this election has become one of very few occasions in which members of the Republican party have declared that they will vote for the Democratic candidate and vice versa. Some followers of the race at CNN have said “This may very well be the year for the Libertarian candidate” and have even gone as far as saying that “Whoever gets elected is guaranteed to go down in history as the worst president in American history.”

However, the subject of my article is the changes that I believe should be made to Hillary Clinton’s campaign in order for her to be elected. If you are interested in what another thinks should be changed about Donald Trump’s campaign, you can click (LINK TO OTHER ARTICLE COMING SOON) to read Jordan Aument’s article about what she feels it would take to fix Donald Trump’s strategy in the race. With that in mind, there are many aspects of Hillary Clinton’s campaign that I feel could be improved upon. Firstly and most importantly, I believe that Hillary should change her overall strategy during debates. A prime example of a way that she could accomplish this is by allowing Donald Trump to call her out over her e-mail problem and by refraining from engaging in loud arguments with him. However, I am by no means saying she shouldn’t defend herself during the debate. My point is that, if Hillary allows Donald to spend his debate time talking about subjects that do not relate to the presidential election, it will expose Trump’s lack of factual information and inability to respond to the questions he is asked during the debate. Furthermore, when more attention is paid towards Trump, it keeps him from changing the subject when he is asked a question during the debate, as well as allowing Clinton to give her thought on an issue without the worrying about his interruption. Additionally, I believe that she should make sure that she keep herself from becoming angry during rallies or debates. When she speaks in a calm tone of voice and attempts to talk in a purely intellectual way rather than shout at her audience, she will appeal to far more people than she ever could otherwise.

Another thing that I believe that the Clinton campaign could improve on is their stance over Hillary Clinton’s e-mail problems. While as of now they have only touched on the subject briefly, I feel that Clinton should release an apology video or letter where she blatantly admits her wrongdoing and is sure to state that she takes full responsibility for her actions. In my opinion, this would allow her to gain support from people who may have lost faith in her after the events of her e-mail issues. Additionally, this would put pressure on Trump in multiple ways. Firstly, it would potentially make Donald Trump appear insensitive or disrespectful due to his comment at the second presidential debate. In case you don’t know, Donald Trump recently commented, If I win, I’m going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation because there has never been so many lies, so much deception, there has never been anything like it”. This quote is an example of one of the many different comments and acts as a good example of what Hillary should be focusing her attacks around.

With all of that in mind, I don’t want people to think that I feel like the Clinton campaign is awful or in a state of that I’m some kind of kind of crazy Trump supporter. I just feel like there are a lot of ways for Hillary to improve her campaign and potentially better herself as a politician.

debate2016