Back to School Tips

Elena Zhang, Nick Baldwin, and Grace Emrick , Staff Writers

Welcome back, Eagles! Summer’s gone in a flash and we’re all back at school. Everyone’s in a fog and still used to sleeping in, but these tips will give you a head start in being back at school. 

Firstly, you don’t learn at school without going to school. In other words, don’t hit the snooze button. A good amount of time to have to get ready for school is about an hour. The recommended amount of sleep for teens and pre-teens is 9-12 hours, so go to sleep no later than 10:30 P.M. Some tips for setting your alarm include setting it a few minutes before you intend to wake up, and moving your alarm out of reach so you can’t hit the snooze button. Being on time is a good habit, and make sure you have enough time to eat breakfast and wake up, because going to school when you’re half asleep and starving isn’t any good. At school, you need to focus, and yes, it might be hard but, that just gives you an excuse to relax in the mornings, right? 

Being organized is a great way to start off the school year. Always having necessary supplies is also important. In school, don’t be that student who doesn’t have a pencil. Be sure to prepare the night before so you don’t have to stress out in the morning. That pencil you prepared can help you with so many things, like an agenda! This way, you don’t have to question, “When is that homework due?”, or “Am I missing something?” 

It is important to make new friends, especially at school. And, since the new year has approached, now is the time to do so! Making friends isn’t always easy, but you can start with simple things, like complimenting your peers. Walking to class with your classmates is also a great way to make new friends. Greeting people you recognize on campus not only heightens all of your moods, but can strengthen your bond with them little by little. 

One of the biggest causes of last minute rushes and messy homework is procrastination. We highly recommend you stop procrastinating. It may not be easy at first, but once you stop, school will become a lot easier for you and you’ll be less stressed. You can try using rewards to help you focus, and if that doesn’t work, ask your family members to check up on you. Instead of completing assignments last minute, start them the day they are assigned. Working on a little bit each day makes it a lot easier to complete! After school, put your homework before your phone. Once you’re all done with your homework, you have the whole rest of your day to relax as a reward!

No matter what, you’ll make it through the year, so don’t stress out about school too much. Give these tips a try, and we guarantee your overall success in school, with free time to spare!