Why I Don’t Like the New Murals

Caroline C., Editor

7th and 8th graders that have returned to in-person learning may have noticed the changes on campus. The paint is freshened, the Nile River is looking much better, and the revered Gum Wall by the entrance to the girl’s locker room is gone. But! -did anyone notice the replacements of the murals? Now, instead of art, we have college logos on our school.

7th and 6th graders might not remember, but the school used to be covered with artistic murals. There were colorful, twining ribbons, a robot and bookshelf on the electric boxes, a landscape scene, and so much more. I, personally, do not like the murals that replaced these. It seems like the colorful, creative aspects of our school have disappeared.

We’re constantly being pummeled by ads. They’re everywhere; before every YouTube video, on websites and social media, and on TV.  In Malcolm Gladwell’s “The Tipping Point,” he explains the problem with this overload of advertising quite simply, “In the advertising business, this surfeit of information is called the ‘clutter’ problem, and the clutter has made it harder and harder for any one message to stick.”  Because of all the logos on the sides of our school, instead of helping to support kids, the logos may give off the “clutter” effect. Then the logos will have been painted on in vain. 

However, there may have been other solutions to this problem. Instead of trying to interest students with bland college logos, the college-bound message could be made stickier -more likely to be remembered by us students. For example, painting pictures of beautiful campuses, landscapes that can be seen at the college, or memorable moments in its history, would be more interesting to students and pleasing to the eye. The message it’s trying to convey may have pushed students to actually search up the colleges they saw.

Overall, I don’t like the new paintings in our school mainly because the message is wasted on the students and it takes away from our school’s once vibrant personality. If you ever miss the old murals or would like to see what the school used to look like, then check out the library! The 2019-2020 Yearbook group’s photos of the old murals still hang above the books.