Why You Should Join AVID

Jayleen C., Staff Writer

Now is the time to apply for AVID next year! What is AVID? AVID stands for Advancement via Individual Determination. AVID’s mission is to “close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.” In other words, AVID ensures that all students will become educated and responsible participants and leaders. The AVID program teaches study & organization skills and how to work collaboratively with positive peer groups. Writing activities such as Cornell notes and weekly tutorials are based on questioning which causes students to think critically about concepts or materials they do not understand.

Along with increasing their enrollment in four-year colleges, AVID students complete university entrance requirements at a much higher rate than their non-AVID peers. AVID students will also have the opportunity to visit colleges in the area about three times a year. By their junior year, AVID students go on a three-day overnight field trip to various colleges in northern California. By their senior year, AVID students will have had the opportunity to visit fifteen different colleges and universities in California! AVID offers tutoring by trained college tutors, SAT preparation, career exploration, and assistance in college applications and scholarships.

Applications are due by FRIDAY, March 19th
Use this following link to apply for AVID and contact Mr. Aceto
([email protected]) if you have any questions!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4PHb_FsvHjEopAbmAVcsCNkSrsUySMMmQtduLPyS0qnDvYw/viewform