The student news site of Cope Middle School

The Talon

• May 31We will be clearing out lockers and checking in school issued locks on Friday, June 2th. Bring a bag to clear out all of your belongings.

• May 258-14 year olds:Check out the summer music academy on July 17-28th. For more information pick up a flyer in the student center.

• May 8You can still buy a Cope shirt for only $13 with ASB Sticker or $15 without.

• October 31Buy a yearbook now. Click on the link on the Cope web page.

• September 27College Wear Wedenesday! Wear your favorite college clothes every Wednesday!

Prepare to Launch

Ashley P., Assistant SNO Editor

On May 3oth, Cope and Grove Middle School hosted the annual rocket-launching contest. Mr. Fitzpatrick and our very own fellow Mr. Malooley worked together to help handfuls of student from the eighth grade honors science classes form rocket groups. These groups each composed a rocket that would be launched and activated. The objective was to build a rocket that would go very high and that would not break an egg when the egg was placed inside the rocket. The competition was held against a few solemn students, staff, and administrator members at Grove Middle School. After two to three solid weeks of building, the rockets were released with rocket gear and launchpads. Students from our classes were able to watch the rockets be ignited or help out with the rockets in crews concerning safety, making announcements to non-participating guests, and with retrieving the rockets after they landed. To help predict trajectory and sky routes as well as the outcomes of each trial, an application called RockSim was used by students to help build their rockets to the best rockets they can be. The contest blasted off to a great end with Cope Middle school and our participants winning the contest. On our behalf, we thank Mr. Malooley for helping us and the other students at Grove out and we congratulate Grove on a fair competition.