The student news site of Cope Middle School

The Talon

• April 17The last spirit day is this Friday. Wear Cope colors or a Cope shirt to show your spirit!

• April 17Do you want to be apart of the Journalism Staff? Pick up an application in H-22. Applications are due 4/27

• April 17Do you want to be apart of the Yearbook Staff? Pick up an application in H-22. Applications are due 4/28

• October 31Buy a yearbook now. Click on the link on the Cope web page.

• September 27College Wear Wedenesday! Wear your favorite college clothes every Wednesday!

The Sisters Reunite!

Emily C., Staff Writer

It has been a rough draw, but there eventually has to be a winner. In the 2017 Austalian Open, many men and women have had to train extemly hard to reach the finals. Many expected the number one and two seed to advance to the finals with no difficulty at all. Surprisingly, the young American CoCo Vandeweghe beat the number one seed, Angelique Kerber, in the Round of 16 due to her strength and ability to outpower Kerber. Vandeweghe also beat the Spanish Muguruza in an intense, yet relaxed, two set match leaving Coco to play Venus Williams in the Semifinals and Serena Williams playing Mirjana Lucic-Baroni. This also means that three out of the four women semifinalist are American; that has not happened in 15 years!

All professional athletes have to deal with losing every now and then; Vandeweghe and V. Williams faced off on Wednesday (our time; Thursday in Austalia) and the thirteenth seed, Venus, surprisingly beat the youg American. Serena Williams, Venus’ younger sister, also crushed Lucic-Baroni in the Semifinals. Therefore, the Williams sisters will be reunited on the same court playing for a Grand-Slam! Venus and Serena are extemly happy to play each other in the final and are both looking to play their best tennis. No matter what the outcome, Serena and Venus have truely played amazing tennis throughout this tournament.