The student news site of Cope Middle School
  • February 23Jogathon is on March 10th. This is a fundraiser. A minimum of $15 is due March 3rd.

• February 13Donate cat and dog food to I-27 for the CJSF Paws and Claws Food Drive.

• October 31Buy a yearbook now at its lowest price for only $45. Click on the link on the Cope web page.

• September 27College Wear Wedenesday! Wear your favorite college clothes every Wednesday!

The Sisters Reunite!

Emily C., Staff Writer

It has been a rough draw, but there eventually has to be a winner. In the 2017 Austalian Open, many men and women have had to train extemly hard to reach the finals. Many expected the number one and two seed to advance to the finals with no difficulty at all. Surprisingly, the young American CoCo Vandeweghe beat the number one seed, Angelique Kerber, in the Round of 16 due to her strength and ability to outpower Kerber. Vandeweghe also beat the Spanish Muguruza in an intense, yet relaxed, two set match leaving Coco to play Venus Williams in the Semifinals and Serena Williams playing Mirjana Lucic-Baroni. This also means that three out of the four women semifinalist are American; that has not happened in 15 years!

All professional athletes have to deal with losing every now and then; Vandeweghe and V. Williams faced off on Wednesday (our time; Thursday in Austalia) and the thirteenth seed, Venus, surprisingly beat the youg American. Serena Williams, Venus’ younger sister, also crushed Lucic-Baroni in the Semifinals. Therefore, the Williams sisters will be reunited on the same court playing for a Grand-Slam! Venus and Serena are extemly happy to play each other in the final and are both looking to play their best tennis. No matter what the outcome, Serena and Venus have truely played amazing tennis throughout this tournament.